Why Did I Choose A Ford Transit
Choosing a van that was going to meet my needs and be happy to live in with was a hard decision to make. I must have spent months searching online of various van conversion blogs to see what other people were doing and recommended.
When deciding what van i was going to buy, I made a list of what I needed.
- Price: £1500 maximum. (£1100 i bought mine for).
- Body Size: Medium size van, easy to park and plenty of room. Yes a long wheel base would be amazing for space inside but I just did not want the hassle when parking
- Engine size: 2000cc desiel, having a bigger engine size than this would just cost more on the road when fueling up. I’m going to be doing a lot of driving so need to keep fuel cost down as much as possible.
- Colour: (anything but white). Most vans for sale are mainly white but I wanted a vehicle that didn’t look like a builders van. My transit is red and I am so happy with my choice.
- Condition: When looking for a van you need to check the condition of it. Vans are mainly used for carry goods around so they are bound to have dents in the body work. Main thing to look out for and I cant stress this enough. RUST RUST RUST!!!! This is a MASSIVE thing to look out for when inspecting the vehicle. You will find rust on most vans out there but if it’s that corroded and obviously needs a lot of welding doing, then my advise it to walk away and keep searching. ( Unless you like welding and a good challenge). I had dents all over mine (inside and out), surface rust around wheel arches and sills and rusted door steps but these were not massively bad and i felt i could repair it.
- Inside: You need to think what you want to build inside and decide if there will be enough room for everything you want.
There was no rush in purchasing a van, even though the urge was building up greatly to get started. But it was best to take my time and wait for the perfect van that meet my criteria.
After searching for months on Ebay, Gumtree, AutoTrader and the Newspapers i bought a Ford Transit off Ebay as it ticked all my boxes.
It was a difficult choice because when searching blogs on van conversions there was not many who had done one with a ford transit, so that did make me wonder if their was a reason for this and i might have made a foolish mistake on getting one. This did also make me want it even more to show everyone it can be done.
Enjoying my blog? Why not subscribe below and receive every update and follow me as my dream of travelling in a campervan becomes a reality.